Nov 2, 2011

SVN, or how to save your butt on IDM

Subversion support is built into Novell IDM 3.6.1 and late, use it! (but don't trust it)

I set up an old  box as a SVN box on the network, running SLES and using LDAP tied to eDir for authentication in case I want to ever give this out.  All it does is back up my IDM projects and allow me to put them down on other machines. When I'm done doing work in Designer I "check in" the changes and append the changelog to give me a future clue of what I did.

Nice right? I think it is....

Now here's the don't trust it part,

I also export the project as a ZIP file with the project name and date, and then save that ZIP file on the corp file server to make sure it's backed up.....I've seen funky things go wrong with SVN when moving to older versions of code, to prevent that, I can restore from these ZIP backups instead of trying to navigate though the SVN browser in Designer.

Suspenders and belt, whatever IT takes to keep your pants up

No comments:

Post a Comment